I must confess, I started out wanting to write something at 8 weeks, then it become then 10, and finally it bore fruition at 12 weeks. Better late than never they said.
In the last 12 weeks, I have spent an inordinate amount of time cuddling and kissing my little one. Many afternoons were lost just staring at a sleeping infant, not daring to move lest it would break his very short afternoon naps. But like they said, the days are long but the years are short. I love my little man with all my heart, but truth to be told, it did not come instantly. I thought it would initially and was a little disappointed that my primary emotion upon bringing him home (in the initial two weeks) was being overwhelmed. I am glad its no longer the case. In the last couple of weeks, I have started to have so much fun with him!
I attribute my initial feelings to the long and difficult labor that I had to endure. The labor was long and difficult but the emotional toil was the one that hit me like a ton of bricks. The 2 weeks after his birth, were one of the most difficult weeks in my life. The crazy emotions and trying hard to figure out what the baby wanted and was so so so tough. I hope I am better for it. Kris as usual took up his new role like a champion and was the greatest dad to Kayen and most supportive husband to me. For that, I’m supremely grateful.
Over the weeks tho, things slowly got better and better and better. As I sit here typing this entry, I feel like we have come so far in this parenting journey. Almost everyone told us, it gets better over time. It was hard to envision that in the early weeks, but it really has gotten so much better and so much more enjoyable as I watch him grow and develop into his own person.
My little Kayen, oh my little precious ball. He has grown into such a little man. Every single day, I seem to love him just a tiny bit more. He drives me insane somedays, but he would smile and coo at me afterwards, and it makes everything alright. This little tiny being, has captured both our hearts and minds, and we would do almost anything to make sure we try our level best to be the parents that he deserves. Its quite so special that in terms of looks and temperament, he’s a little bit of the both of us.
Random baby milestones/memorable stuff at this stage.
- He discovered his hands, and loves to put them in a prayer position.
- He’s obsessed with mummy and tracks her by turning his entire head as she moves around the room.
- His cries have evolved (Cranky, Hungry, Play with me/Attention, Pain. Sometimes they evolve to Uncontrollable Screams!!!!! if you haven’t found the source of his cries after a few minutes) This kid has very healthy lungs for sure!
- 3 to 4 naps a day (Ranging from 20 to 40 mins)
- 3 to 5 hour stretches at night (Although his pacifier drops in between and he always whines for us to pop it back in, mighty annoying because then our precious 3 to 5 hour stretches are always broken up!)
- Poops around 5 times a day
- Eats around 8 times a day
- His big fat gummy smiles! That heart melter!
- He adores his baby floor play mat with hanging toys and can spend 20-30 mins playing around and coo-ing cutely.
- He has begun ‘chatting’ with us. We talk to him about whats going on around him, what we’re doing (i.e. making an avocado sandwich for lunch) and he responds accordingly. He does that a few times a day if we’re lucky, with random baby noises. Its SUPER CUTE!
- Someone gifted us a Boppy Napper, something I wouldn’t have bought on my own, but it has been a lifesaver during the day. He happily would lay down on it and play with his rattle toys. We would read and sing to him while he’s on it and he seems v comfortable.
- He loves his cocoon-ed car seat (J.J.Cole Bundle Me) has kept him snug all winter. He can sleep for an hour in the car seat if we’re constantly moving, although as he grows, he has more awake time and less inclined to want to be in there for longer stretches. Probably wise to get more toys for it.
- He has met some kids around his age, stares at them for a while and then gets bored.
- He loves to blow bubbles and drools lots! (Apparently his gums are preparing for teeth and is kinda white and itchy, because he loves to chomp on his baby teether!)
- He recognizes adults who are not his parents and stares at them cautiously!
- He dislikes tummy time with a vengeance. He cries longer for it, compared to his 2 month shots!
- He calls for attention by having this, “Aiieeeee, Arrrrgeeeee” sounds. SUPER DUPER CUTE! Unless it escalates into a full blown cry of course.
- He loves his Mama and Dada! He greets us with happy ‘arrrrrrr’ laughs and cheeky smiles.
- Loves to grab my finger and hoist himself from a sleeping position to a sitting position. Its a colossal effort for him because his head is almost 1/4 his entire body. Its funny to watch him huff and puff his way up.
He’s undoubtedly our greatest love! Make no mistake tho, he requires my attention 24 hours a day and sometimes I miss the days I could just shower languorously, put on some non-nursing clothing and go have fun. These days everything has to be timed and organized according to His Lordship’s feeding/sleeping schedule. But I would have it no other way. He’s so so precious! At 12 weeks old, he has a pretty fun temperament, he’s supremely curious about everything so the sure fire way of cheering him up is to carry him upright and walk everywhere.
Happy 12 weeks my sweet sweet baby boy, Mummy loves you so much! Daddy is enthralled by your cuteness!